Your Ad Here

Questseek Searching

Search the web:

7/15/2007

Kanu set to commit to Pompey

Kanu is set to commit his future to Portsmouth after the Premiership club made an improved contract offer.

Last season's top scorer remains a free agent after turning down the club's offer of a one-year deal but the situation could now be resolved within days.

The Nigeria international has been holding out for a two-year contract but may now settle for a better wage over the next 12 months.

The deal is likely to include an option for a further year should Kanu make a certain number of appearances, although his opportunities may be limited by the signings of John Utaka and David Nugent.

Kanu's representative Samuel Okoronkwo said: "The position is positive.

"We have other options but Portsmouth have improved the position and we are considering it very seriously.

"We are hopeful we can close the deal this weekend, if not next week.

"Harry Redknapp says he is desperate for Kanu to stay. We have a chance to kill this - we are working on it."

Redknapp could further improve his attacking options by handing a contract to trialist Geovanni, who scored one goal and made another in the friendly at Yeovil on Saturday.

Meanwhile, former Pompey striker Svetoslav Todorov says he left the club after being made a 'poor' contract offer.

"I have respect for myself," said Todorov, who left last month to join Charlton.

"I was offered the same money as (Collins) Mbesuma and the final reason I left is that there was not a big effort to keep me.

"I know I gave everything for this club in the time I was there. I helped Portsmouth into the Premiership and I helped keep them there but the club made me a really poor offer."

Source : www.skysports.com
By Andy Clarke - Created on 14 Jul 2007