Your Ad Here

Questseek Searching

Search the web:

7/23/2007

Scholes: I stopped enjoying it

Paul Scholes has revealed he retired from international football because he 'stopped enjoying it'.

The Manchester United midfielder quit the England fold in 2004 and he has now admitted the reasons behind hanging up his international boots.

"I'd stopped enjoying it," Scholes told the News of the World.

"Maybe it was just because I wasn't playing very well.

"I like being at home and there was an awful lot of time away from my family."

Scholes, who has 66 England caps to his name, produced rejuvenated form last season as he helped guide United to the Premier League title.

However, the 32-year-old has ruled out an England comeback, despite rumours pushing for his return.

"Quitting international football has helped me quite a bit," Scholes added.

"It's always nice to have a 10-day break in international week after so many games.

"I feel better for deciding. I'd like to think I can play longer than if I was playing for England.

"I have been lucky to not have too many serious injuries so I hope I can carry on like that."

Source : www.skysports.com
By Peter Fraser - Created on 22 Jul 2007