Your Ad Here

Questseek Searching

Search the web:

7/17/2007

Drogba delight at Malouda

Didier Drogba has praised his new team-mate Florent Malouda after watching the winger star on his Chelsea debut.

Malouda, who recently arrived at Stamford Bridge following a £13.5million summer move from Lyon, produced a man-of-the-match display and scored Chelsea's first goal in Saturday's 2-1 friendly win over Club America.

However, Drogba was not surprised with the performance of Malouda, who also created John Terry's 83rd minute winner, having already played with the 27-year-old during their time together at Guingamp.

"Everybody knows Malouda's quality and I don't have to speak about it," Drogba told The Sun.

"I think you saw his quality out there, he can keep the ball and control the pace of the game.

"We have a good understanding and our families are very close."

The Ivory Coast striker also believes Malouda's arrival at Chelsea will mean he, and the Frenchman, are going to have to continue to find top form to maintain a berth in the Blues' first team, as competition for starting places increases.

Drogba, though, is confident he can repeat last season's 32-goal personal form.

"I have to be good to play and Florent has to be good to play as well because the competition here is so intense," Drogba said.

"But, if I think having the same season again is impossible it would mean I was lucky, and I'm not thinking that.

"I think I created the chances to be good last year and my secret is to work.

"I have to stay focused on the game, forget about last season and try to do better, I have to be happy and win more trophies."

Source : www.skysports.com
By Peter Fraser - Created on 16 Jul 2007