Your Ad Here

Questseek Searching

Search the web:

7/15/2007

Cesc to stay after Real talks

Cesc Fabregas has once more pledged his future to Arsenal after admitting he held talks with Real Madrid.

The Spanish champions have made a concerted push to try and prise the midfielder from Emirates Stadium over the summer.

Arsenal have been determined to hang on to Fabregas following Thierry Henry's sale to Barcelona, but doubts about manager Arsene Wenger's long-term future have raised questions about the Spaniard's own situation.

However, Fabregas has now confirmed he will be staying with the Gunners after thanking Real for showing an interest.

"I'm very grateful to Real and it is an honour that such a great club is interested in me," Fabregas told Radio Marca.

"But after the departure of Thierry Henry to Barcelona I couldn't leave Arsenal in the lurch.

"I spoke to Real's president Ramon Calderon and sport director Predrag Mijatovic, and they are spectacular people.

"It was very satisfying to listen to them as Real Madrid is a great club, but I have decided to stay at Arsenal.

"I had a long talk with Wenger. He is someone I can talk to about anything.

"I have total confidence in the boss that he will sign a new deal. Wenger believes in this team and has a lot of confidence in the squad.

"I am only 20 and all I have to do is enjoy my football and improve, and I want to do that with this team."

Source : www.skysports.com
By Mark Buckingham - Created on 13 Jul 2007