Your Ad Here

Questseek Searching

Search the web:

7/17/2007

Bruce's Konchesky lament

Steve Bruce admits it was a 'big disappointment' to miss out on Fulham new boy Paul Konchesky.

The full-back signed for Fulham from West Ham Untied prior to the weekend, having also been wanted by Birmingham City.

Bruce had spent several weeks trying to arrange a deal for Konchesky, but accepts he will now have to move on to other targets.

"It was a big disappointment for me," Bruce told the Birmingham Mail.

"He was someone I had been trailing and courting for weeks. That's the way it is. I think it has shocked all of us the way the prices have gone.

"But if we are going to compete, we have to bite the bullet and get on with it. That's what the market's like.

"I really liked the boy. I think he's the closest thing I've seen to Martin Grainger and we all know what type he was and what he did for this club.

"Konchesky would have been a good acquisition for us. But we've lost out, and now we have to go back down to the next one and start the process all over again."

Meanwhile, Konchesky is targeting a spot in the top half of the Premier League table after being presented as a Fulham player.

He told Sky Sports News: "I spoke to the manager and I've seen the signings he's brought in, and would like to bring in.

"Fulham have got a great chance this year. We want to be in the top 10 and with the players brought in I think we're capable."

Source : www.skysports.com
By Mark Buckingham - Created on 16 Jul 2007